Saturday 6 September 2014

Is THIS What You'd Call a Typical Day?

Do you have what you would call non-typical days in your life? Looking back, I decided that yesterday was anything but typical. It started off normally enough, I guess, or I would remember more details, but that’s when ordinary stopped.
(Hold on a sec while I change the font size. At this hour of the morning I’m in no mood to be peering at the letters.) Okay, back we go.

Ever since an editor did a review on my book Mary’s Diary, the Life of Jesus through His Mother’s Eyes, I have been really focused on re-editing it. He had major complaints about the cover and since I’m planning to get a Second Edition done on the book that will be a focal point; that and a few other things.

Now for my day report:

Okay, here I was, with the laptop wide open trying to make a few changes now and then while peeling pears. I was not only peeling those overripe beauties, but transforming them into little jars of Exotic Pear Preserves, and regular canned pears. (Shh, don’t tell anyone but wouldn't that jam like spread make delectable Christmas gifts?)
I was scurrying back and forth between the laptop, which was constantly wanting to shut down, and the kitchen sink. Pretty soon my steps took me –not farther, but in a different direction. Just outside our patio door on the deck table, a propane tank is set up attached to a stove burner. Do you know how it is with these modern, glass top stoves? There is something about them that makes it impossible to can on them. Fortunately the weather was great, just terrific actually, and I didn’t mind at all canning outdoors.

Well, pretty soon that job was behind me but before it was, I kept getting these texts and phone calls from hubby-dear, who was going to Edmonton and back all in one day. (Nay, that’s not typical, either.)
After he returned from the Big City he was all geared up to head into Grande Prairie to work on our pickup that had broken down near a side road there. And who did he want to come along for company? Yours truly. So I packed up the Mary Anderson book I was reading as well as my latest embroidery project and away we went. (Good bye Mary’s Diary, I actually forgot all about you some of the time!)

So there I was sitting in the car while he toiled away on trying to get the…um, what was it called? The wheel bearing removed. Every once in a while I would stretch my muscles and act interested and supportive but I sure wished I knew more how to help him. The hours moved along and he headed back to Canadian Tire, not once but twice for a
different tool. (The last time he ended up putting down a returnable deposit on a case of them.)To top the cake-- or grease!! ) he discovered that the replacement part he had planned to use looked identical, but was from a truck two years older than ours!


Well, embroidering and reading was not quite enough to wile away the time with, so I decided to start texting with someone I knew was working nights on cleaning jobs. Before you knew it we had an invitation to have ‘coffee’ with them and when I found out what was on the menu, I couldn't resist! They had fresh, homemade strawberry cheese cake available as well as apple pie and cookies! For someone who needs to go easy on the wheat and milk products that was definitely forbidden fruit so rarely, very rarely gets eaten, but oh what a temptation! (Hey, it didn't help any that we had skipped having supper, you know!)

We had a pleasant time with them, but do you know what? Even before that nice finale to the day quite out of the blue I remarked to Stephen that I felt joyful. It’s not the typical reaction to a boring slash frustrating sort of day, is it, but he said he felt joyful, which isn't the same as 'happy, also. We had a Companion with us that helped to keep us cheerful, and He sure is special!

No comments:

Post a Comment