Thursday 13 October 2016

What Works Best, Cracked or Uncracked?


A water bearer in India had two large pots, which he hung one on each end of a pole across his shoulders. One of the cruses had a crack in it while the other one was perfect. It was a long walk from the stream to the master’s house, but this one never failed to deliver a full portion. On the other hand, the cracked container would arrive sadly depleted. Of course, the perfect vessel was proud of his accomplishments, and the poor, cracked container felt ashamed and miserable that it could do only half of what it was made to do.
After two years of perceiving, he was a bitter failure, the damaged crock spoke to the water deliverer one day by the watercourse. “I am ashamed of myself, and I want to apologize to you.”
“Why,” asked the surprised water carrier. “What are you ashamed of?”

 “I have been able, for these last two year to deliver only half my load because this crack in my side causes water to leak out all the way to your boss’s house, “ he meekly admitted, “Because of my flaws you have to do so much work but don’t get full value for your efforts.”
The water bearer felt sorry for the old, fractured vessel, so compassionately told him, “As we return to the house, I want you to notice the beautiful flowers along the path.”
Indeed as they went up the hill, the humble, fractured jug took notice of the sun warming `the beautiful wild flowers next to the path, and this cheered him some. But at the end of the trail, it had still dripped so much water that it once again apologized.
“Did you not notice there were flowers only on your side of the path?” the porter replied. “That is because I have always known about your flaw and it was useful to me. I planted flowers on your side of the track and every day while I was climbing back from the brook you would be unconsciously watering those lovely blossoms. Because of what you perceived as a weakness, I had been able to gather many bouquets of beautiful flowers to decorate my lord’s table. Without you being just the way you are, he would not have such loveliness to grace his home.”

You and I also have unique flaws.  We are all just a bunch of cracked pots.  But In God’s great economy nothing is lost. The Lord can make use of our imperfections. As the Heavenly father calls you to the tasks He has appointed for you, don’t be afraid of your shortcomings. Allow Him to take advantage of them and you, too, can bring beauty along the road of Life. Go out boldly knowing that in our weakness we find His strength.


No comments:

Post a Comment