Wednesday 10 June 2015

Bridal Coin Vanished


Excerpt from my book Mary’s Diary of Jesus’ Life
Poor Michal was frantic with worry. Her young husband, Raddai, went on a business trip but would be back by nightfall. For the first time in their short married life, Michal was dreading his return.
Somehow she had lost one of the dowry coins that had been fastened to the hat below her wedding veil and her face was marred with tears.

“Miryam!” Michal cried as I entered the door, “Miryam, the most awful thing has happened!”

“What is it,”  I demanded, clutching her arm. “Is it your Imma—or your Mimi (grandma) Salome?”

“Nay, it is worse, far worse! Nay, nay, not worse but—oh MiryamI have lost one of my dowry coins.

“Lost it! Oh, my darling tinoki, how could that be?”

We both knew this was no small loss. It wasn’t only the value of the coin, which was equivalent to a day’s wagesbut what it represented. This was one of the dowry coins. If it was missing, the husband could accuse his wife of using it to commit adultery, and that was grounds for divorce.

Surely, Raddai would not be that hasty or hard-hearted, but I do know his father had not approved of Raddai choice for a bride, but grudgingly gave his consent. It was urgent that it be found.

Together we scurried over to their house, looking high and low for that missing silver piece. It was so dim inside, even with the door wide open. In desperation, Michal lighted one of their few precious candles as we frantically combed the small rooms. I took it upon myself to sweep every corner of her earthen floor and to shake out all the reed mats and pallets while Michal busied herself with I know not what.

She carefully shook out her wedding garments, searching among the folds, I took another candle and lit it, examining all the cracks at the edge of the room, lest it had rolled into one.

As the hours lengthened, our anxiety increased. Without a doubtthe drachma would lose its color once it was ground into the dirt and surely the inscription would be worn off. How would it ever be found?

“I found it!” Michal shrieked, holding it high in the air.
Carefully, we removed all the dirt, causing it to shine in its former glory. Michal snatched it up once again and flew out the door.

“Rejoice with me!” she called out to some aant’at strolling down the street. They were on their way home from shopping and stared at her in astonishment.

Sisters! Rejoice with me, for I have found my lost coin!”

Eagerly, they rushed through the door admiring it as if they had never seen a drachma before. The younger ladies started dancing for joy. Of course those small quarters could never contain such liveliness so the group overflowed
into the street. Other Aleichem, both young and old, hurried over, eager

to join in the merriment all because a lost coin was found.

P.S. Can you imagine how distressed Jesus is if one of us lose the way?

No comments:

Post a Comment