Saturday 22 March 2014

Come ON Down



I've been having so much fun prettying up the place in preparation for Bed and Breakfast guests that's updating the blog has been put on the back burner. Talking about back burner, or rather front burner, in this case: I have had the fleshier parts of two old hens simmering on the stove all day. What a wonderful aroma! What should I do with them? Chicken and Dumplings? A soup? A casserole? Save some for sandwiches? 






Don't want to make you jealous or anything, but you can't get that good a flavor from chicken at the supermarket. There is something, real, real good about the taste of homegrown, free range chickens.
But that's not all I've been doing lately. The shelf by my kitchen window and under all the various grow lights tiny seedlings are sprouting. I'm really intent on prettying up our place this year. Sure, some people say it looks nice already, but just wait...! Every year I end up starting some plants in the house, but this year I really outdid myself. That's my typical reaction when winter seems too long and spring is slow in coming. Here's some of the visions dancing in my head.


What else with a name like Hollyhock Haven, eh?


Because of all the shade caused by immense trees I have lots of begonias growing around the place. Well, actually that's only part of the reason. I love, love, love them!



Maybe you'd like to take a peek at some of the show-offs from last year. (Mind you, with B&B guests expected, I want to baby them even more this year!)

You can't really see what a vibrant color these are, can you? 

These aren't exactly ours but I love growing this kind.
Would you believe I wintered this little guy just inside that patio door?
I'm eager to see it take off when its a little warmer. 
I don't exactly blame you folks for not showing up this winter when some of the time it was looking more like this:
but just wait til summer when you can do lots of canoeing on this:: (our canoe is available for rent)
or this:
Or maybe you prefer heading to the river and doing this:
or this:
Or going to a nearby market garden for this type of fun!

See you next summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment