Monday 2 December 2013

A Dangerous Time (Heidi's continued story)

Heidi’s heart hammered as she stole quietly out of the church. The wintry blast was chilling but that wasn’t
the main reason she pulled her hood closer around her face. Seconds after leaving the church sanctuary she heard the drummer make a loud proclamation. And it was about her!ear ye! Hear! Hear ye! An Anabaptist woman has escaped the prison! Sorcery is suspected! A witch is in our midst! Don’t let her go free! One hundred gilders” (about seventy dollars) “will be awarded to whoever points her out. Hear ye! One hundred guilders! She is a dangerous threat to our beautiful city. Catch her if you can! And reduce your debt considerably at the same time!”
  Heidi felt like a small hunted animal as she looked anxiously around for a way to escape. Should I dart down one of these dimly lit alleys? Nay, nay, that is where thugs and other evil doers linger. Oh where, shall I go? Where shall I go? Hans and Maeken! Surely they will take me in! I was dear to them when I was their maid in my youth. I know they care about me!

              


             
               It was nigh on impossible to walk slowly, against stream with so many people jostling her as they headed to the various directions throughout the city. More than once someone seemed to look at her questioningly, but she merely hugged her basket closer, and pretended to be on some important errand. Oh I hope they think I am bringing nourishment to some poor, ailing folk!
               “Heidi! Why come you here?  Are you not well? Are your children, unwell?”
               “Oh, Maeken, let me in, please let me in! I am being hunted like an animal simply for being an Anabaptist.”
Hans reached around his wife and pulled her through the portals and closed the door firmly behind him.
               Maeken wrung her hands in despair. “Oh, my child, I knew thou wouldst leap into trouble by embracing that queer faith! What have you done? Why art thou chasing you?”
               Heidi told them briefly what had transpired in the last few hours. And Maeken threw up her hands in dismay.
               “A witch? A sorcerer! Nay, nay, child! We cannot take you in! Thy blood would be on our head if we did, and we would be suspect!”
               “Shh!” Hans cautioned as the beating of drums grew louder just outside the door.
               Maeken and Heidi cowered in the shadows while Hans pressed his ear to the door. His face was grim.
               “We would forfeit 150 guilders if they found you here. I’m sorry, Heidi. We cannot take the risk. It is hard enough paying the rent as it is.”
               “Please,” Heidi implored. “Can you not give me a chance? I will disappear in a flash if someone knocks on your door. I know thy house like the palm of my hand!”
               Hans hesitated, and looked at her pityingly. Then he slowly shook his head. “We know the Anabaptists are good, honest people, but many are suspicious of them…”
               They heard a rabble in the street and Maeken looked terrified. “Go!” she shrieked, pushing her towards the back entrance.  She lowered her voice. “And may God bless you.” Heidi gave her a quick hug then scurried out through the attached root cellar.
              






          









No comments:

Post a Comment